There are 14 vital activities that every real estate agent should do. Last time, we focused on the seven things you need to do to help sellers. Today, we’ll focus on what you need to do to master representing buyers.
1. Lead generation. Again, you need to be constantly generating new leads through open houses, Zillow, yard signs, and referrals from past clients, family, and friends.
2. Have a conversion process. What do you do to convert this person from a name and number into a buyer and broker contract?
3. Paperwork. Get that agreement signed and take care of agency disclosures and buyer advisories while you are in the beginning stages of working with the buyer.
4. Finding and showing the perfect home. This is the fun part. You get to guide the buyer through their home search.
5. Writing and negotiating the best purchase agreement. You need to be proficient in making sure that your offers protect the buyer’s best interests. You also need to make sure that the buyer understands all of the inspections and finance contingencies. The bottom line is that you need to be able to write an offer that will be accepted.
6. Closing. Again, it’s important to make sure that the closing process goes smoothly. Be there with your buyer at the closing table in case they have any questions or concerns. You are there to be their advocate. Let them know that you care by showing up to closing. Then, when everything has been done, you can ask if there is anyone they can refer you to.
7. Post-closing activities. In my 31 years of real estate, I’ve noticed that this step gets skipped the most. What are you doing to develop a deep relationship with this client after you close escrow? After all, they may be a client who will bring you business for the rest of your life.
You need to have detailed plans in place to make sure that you are relevant in their mind. Call them up every now and then, invite them to sporting events, or host annual client appreciation events. You can also check to see how they like the house. If they have any challenges or need a repairman, you can put them in touch with one. You will position yourself as a great real estate resource.
I hope these 14 activities will help you grow your business. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I would be happy to help you!